February 23, 2021
Brewing Guide: Inverted AeroPress
The AeroPress is one of our favorite brewing devices, and for good reason! It's affordable, portable, and can be incredibly versatile. Best of all, it makes great coffee.
Today we're sharing one of our go-to recipes, which involves using the "inverted" method of brewing. Follow along with Amy and Kyle, and you'll quickly get the hang of this fun, fast manual brewing method!
Don't have an AeroPress? Buy it from us with your next coffee purchase!
Method: AeroPress (Inverted)
Ratio: 30g coffee / 100g water / ~100g bypass water
Grind: 12 setting on Baratza Encore
Water Temperature: 200F
Filter: standard Aeropress filter
1. Boil - Start by filling up your kettle with water. If you have an electric kettle, set the temperature to 200F. If not, bring the water to a boil then let cool for a minute or two before brewing.
2. Grind - Weigh out 30g of coffee, and grind on your Baratza Encore at setting around 12. The grind should "medium-fine" , somewhere between a size you'd use for espresso, and drip coffee.
3. Set up AeroPress - Put the "plunger" piece of the AeroPress inside the piece that has numbers on it, then pull back slightly so the rubber piece inside is close to the top of the lip. For the inverted method, we're now going to flip it so that the piece with numbers is on top. Situate the AeroPress on top of the scale.
4. Add to Aeropress - Add your coffee to the Aeropress, on top of your scale. Then tare the scale so you're able to measure the amount of water you're pouring.
5. Pre-wet Filters - Grab your filter, place it inside the cap, and pre-wet with warm water. This avoids any papery tastes in your coffee. This is also a good chance to rinse your mug with some warm water, to avoid coffee cooling upon contact. Keep your filter and mug to the side for now.
6. Begin Brewing - Start your timer. Add 100g of water, then stir 15-20 times to ensure all grounds are saturated.
7. Cap & Flip - After stirring, screw the cap and filter on to the top of the AeroPress. Once the timer has reached 1:00, carefully flip the AeroPress onto your mug.
8. Press Down - Place your hand on the top of AeroPress, and gently press down until you hear a hissing sound.
9. Add Bypass Water - Add additional water to your coffee (bypass water) to taste. We like about 100g, but you can add to taste.